The Shelby County Amateur Radio Club (SCARC) meets on the second and fourth Thursdays of each month. Our business meeting is from 6:30 to 7:00 on the second Thursday of the month. Presentations begin at 7:00 pm on both the second and fourth Thursday of the month.
Be sure to check out our meeting minutes page for all the news, join us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and subscribe to our e-mail list
Our meeting location is in the Pelham Fire Department Training Center at 663 Stuart Lane. From Highway 31 in Pelham, turn west onto Industrial Park Drive, then left onto Parker Drive, and right onto Stuart Lane. Go to the end of the short road, and we're behind the fenced in area, the gate will be open. Check out this map:
You can usually catch someone on 146.980 MHz (PL 88.5)
if you need talk-in.
Visitors are always welcome!
Our annual holiday party is coming up on Dec 14, 2017! The event will take place at our normal meeting location beginning at 6:00 PM (one hour earlier than normal).
The club will supply meat and drinks, each member is requested to bring a covered dish or dessert. Please note there are no kitchen facilities at the site.
After dinner we will continue our holiday tradition of "Dirty Santa", a game in which you can get a surprise gift, or "steal" a gift from someone else. The rules we will go by are:
- Each person will draw a number at random from a hat.
- Beginning with number 1, each person can choose to take an unwrapped gift from the pile, OR "steal" a gift that has already been opened.
- If someone has their gift "stolen", they then can choose to open a wrapped gift, or steal another gift. Note they cannot steal back the gift that was just taken from them.
- Once a gift has been stolen for the third time, that gift is considered safe, and cannot be stolen again. Example:
- Michael opens up a new antenna book.
- Jim "steals" it from Michael. This is steal #1.
- Marcus "steals" it from Jim. This is steal #2.
- Robert "steals" it from Marcus. This is steal #3, the gift is now safe, and Robert gets to take it home.
- Because person #1 could only choose from unwrapped gifts, at the very end they will have a turn in which they can either keep the gift they have, or steal another gift (except for those gifts marked safe).
Participation in Dirty Santa is optional. However, if you do wish to attend, there are a few rules we request in order to keep it fun for everyone.
- All gifts should be new, and of between $15 and $20 in value.
- All gifts should clearly be labeled as "ham" or "nonham". This will help our non-ham guests in getting gifts that they would enjoy.
- If you bring a nonham gift, we'd encourage you to select a nonham gift, and vice versa. This will help avoid a situation so your nonham teenage daughter doesn't go home with a box of PL259 connectors and you are forced to buy her two new pairs of shoes and an expensive winter coat to make up for it.
We've found younger kids don't fully enjoy Dirty Santa, so we have an opportunity for them with "Clean Santa". If you have younger kids and you would like "Clean Santa" to bring them something, please bring a wrapped gift with their name on it. This will ensure they get something they like, from you (via Santa). Santa himself will sneak in to hand these gifts out during the party.
- Nov 30, 2017 - Presentation meeting at 7:00 pm.
- Dec 3, 2017 - ARA Group Test Session at 2:00 PM at our meeting site.
- Dec 14, 2017 - Holiday Party! It will begin at 6:00pm, at the regular club site. More details to follow.
- Dec 28, 2017 - No meeting due to holidays. An informal "BYOD" (by your own dinner) is being organized, details to follow.
- Jan 11, 2017 - Normal meeting schedule resumes.
- Jan 27/28, 2018 - Winter Field Day
- VE Testing is conducted by the ARA Group, and held the first Sunday of even-numbered months at 2:00pm
at our regular meeting location on Stuart Lane (see map above). For more information
please go to www.aragroup.org.
Testing on odd months is also handled by the ARA Group in coordination with our friends in the
Birmingham Amateur Radio Club, W4CUE.
Please visit the ARA Group website for testing times and locations.